Client: The Floow
Brief: CIPR AWARDS - Corporate and Business Communications runner up
Reputation is the key objective of any PR campaign. Establish, maintain, grow. It’s all about winning new clients, engaging new audiences, driving sales and securing the loyalty of new, existing and future employees.
In 2014, The Floow decided to appoint a public relations agency with a view to ensuring that the business achieved these ambitions as it scaled up its operations.
Below is a precis of how NC Group member, MK PR made this happen…
BRIEF FROM CLIENT:
In 2016/17 The Floow – one of the largest organisations in the global telematics industry focused on individual mobility – had ambitions to reposition itself as a well-established business with the capability to manage the needs and expectations of large corporate brands operating in the insurance and wider automotive manufacturing and management sectors worldwide.
The key objectives of the ‘Spotlight on The Floow’ campaign were identified as follows:
- To promote services amongst senior decision makers within target organisations;
- To establish awareness amongst key stakeholder groups to further promote wider services such as traffic flow management and the role of telematics in pollution reduction and road safety;
- To recruit the best-of-the-best operating within the tech arena to join the team;
- To make the business attractive to external investors.
STRATEGY & TACTICS:
2016 onwards: To utilise media coverage and stakeholder engagement platforms including awards, social media, roundtable discussion, thought leadership articles and political relations in order to help re-position the business as established and progressive as opposed to ‘start-up’.
Social media – regular posts on twitter and LinkedIn to target corporate audiences;
Media releases and editorial contributions – expansion, success, award recognition, government-led project involvement, innovation and thought-leadership articles.
Stakeholder engagement – event/trade mission attendance, roundtable involvement and policy influencing.
One of the key tactics utilised in order to further all of the objectives was to establish and build upon a relationship with the No. 10 press office in order to become a ‘go-to’ Fintech firm for relevant government campaigns.
At the time of the award entry, this included attending two trade missions with the PM, quote inclusion in government-led press announcements re. the regional economy (Sheffield City Region) and The Floow being utilised as a case study in a Department for International Trade video promoting the UK as a place to establish a business.
MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION
At each stage of the campaign the results were measured in line with a series of qualitative key performance indicators in order to demonstrate that the business was being recognised by the right stakeholders in the relevant regions.
Such targets included:
- Ongoing media mentions in UK insurance press;
- Ongoing media mentions in international telematics trade press;
- Increased exposure to notable stakeholders including politicians, company decision makers and industry influencers;
- Recognition for work and success ongoing via relevant targeted awards and general media coverage.
The stakeholder and media relations campaign contributed to:
- An invitation for The Floow’s founder to attend an international trade mission accompanying Prime Minister Theresa May on a trip to India showcasing the best of British SMEs.
- Affiliation via media mentions to a major, multi-million pound project to position the UK at the forefront of innovation in driverless cars;
- The receipt of a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the Innovation category 2016 – recognising the team for their ongoing work in the increased safety of road use in Britain and abroad;
- The growth of the team which consisted originally of three members, and now exceeds 80;
- Consistent coverage in regional, national and international trade and international business press in key markets including Asia, India, Europe and America.
Furthermore, in March 2017 the business confirmed that it had secured £13m equity investment - made up of contributions from Direct Line Group, the UK’s leading personal motor and home insurer; as well as leading Chinese investment group, Fosun, and United Electronics Co.
In addition to strong interaction and engagement on The Floow’s social media feeds following the announcement, coverage exceeded 100 mentions in relevant national and international trade press, regional business press and international news wires.
Announcing the investment itself MK PR was able to utilise strong relations with the investors in order to utilise internal resources to further the reach of the coverage via their stakeholder and media relationships. The team also liaised with the No. 10 press office to secure a quote from the Prime Minister which resulted in wide-spread domestic and international coverage.
The quote from Prime Minister Theresa May, read: "Today’s announcement of a £13m investment into Sheffield’s thriving tech sector by three firms, including foreign investors, demonstrates the faith they have in the future of Sheffield.
"It’s great news for The Floow, which will be able to use the cash to double its workforce and carry on expanding the cutting-edge car safety technology that has seen it create 70 high skilled jobs in the city.”
Agency resource: 3 x days per month over a 12 month period securing a dedicated account director and an account executive.